- 2 1/2 c Flour
1/2 ts Soda
1/4 ts Salt
2 ts Ginger
1 ts Crystallized ginger; diced
1/2 ts Allspice
1/2 ts Black pepper
1 1/4 c Dark brown sugar; packed
3/4 c Butter; softened
1 lg Egg
1/4 c Unsulfured molasses
- Preheat oven to 300 F. In a medium bowl combine flour, soda, salt, ginger, crystallized ginger, allspice and pepper. Mix well and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix sugar and butter with an electric mixer set at medium speed. Scrape down sides of the bowl.
- Add egg and molasses, beat at medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add the flour mixture and mix at low speed just until combined.
- Chill the dough in the refrigerator for 1 hour – the dough well be less sticky and easier to handle.
- Form dough into balls 1 inch in diameter.
- Place onto ungreased cookie sheets, 1 1/2 inches apart.
- Bake 24-25 minutes. Use a spatula to immediately transfer cookies to a cool, flat surface.