- You can use different cheeses and meats for added variety.
- 9 Slices Wheat Bread
- 3 Slices Cooked Turkey
- 3 Slices Cooked Ham
- 3 Slices American Cheese
- 3 Slices Swiss Cheese
- 1 Egg
- 1 - 1 1/4 C. Water
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1 tsp. Sugar
- 1 1/2 C. Flour
- 1 Tbs. Baking Powder
- Vegetable Oil (for deep frying)
- Place turkey and Swiss cheese on one slice of bread and ham and American cheese on another slice of bread. Place third slice in-between and secure the triple decker sandwich in the corners with tooth picks.
- Place egg in mixing bowl, add water and beat together. Add salt, sugar, flour, and baking powder. Beat batter until smooth. Dip sandwich in batter and carefully cover all the sides and surface.
- Carefully place in hot oil and fry until golden. When sandwich has turned a warm gold color remove from hot oil and place on paper towel. Let cool for a few minutes before removing the tooth picks.
- Before serving slice into fourths and sprinkle with powder sugar. Serve with raspberry preserves, pickle garnish and your favorite side order of French fried potatoes.
Bennigan’s Monte Cristo,