- 14 ounce can low-fat sweetened condensed milk
0.5 cup boiling water
6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
1 teaspoon instant espresso or 2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
3 tablespoons Kahlua (coffee-flavored liqueur)
This is a variation of the ‘mother sauce’ of dessert sauces. Vanilla sauce or sauce Anglaise, is a loose custard that can be flavored in a variety of ways to complement almost any dessert.
- Heat milk, heavy cream, vanilla bean, and half of the sugar until it boils. Remove the vanilla bean and reserve for other uses.
- Combine egg yolks and remaining sugar, then temper with part of the boiling milk while stirring constantly.
- Pour liaison into the remaining milk and return to the heat.
- Stirring constantly, cook slowly to stage of nape or 180°F (82°C)
- Remove immediately from stove and strain through a chinois, directly into a bain-marie in an ice bath. Add the coffee extract, mixing well until blended.