- 3 lbs all-purpose potatoes, scrubbed and pierced in several places
- 1 Tbsp. stick butter or margarine
- 1 1/2 C. finely chopped onions
- 2 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 can (14 1/2 oz) chicken broth
- 3 C. milk
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
Toppingsshredded cheddar cheese, crumbled bacon & chopped scallions
- Heat oven to 400°F. Bake potatoes 1 hour or until tender when pierced. Peel when cool enough to handle. Melt Butter in a 4 to 6 qt pot over medium low heat. Stir in onions and garlic, cover and cook 10 minutes until soft, but not brown.
- Add 2/3 of the potatoes and mash with a potato masher. Add broth, milk, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Cut remaining potatoes in small cubes. Add to soup and stir gently to reheat. Sprinkle each serving with toppings.
Bennigan’s Ultimate Baked Potato Soup,