- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3.5 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 0.5 cup chopped dates
- 0.5 cup hot double-strength Starbucks Christmas Blend or other dark roast coffee
- 0.5 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 0.25 cup 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 0.5 cup orange marmalade
Note: These italian date thumbprints can also be made into a chocolate version by substituting 2 tablespoons of cocoa for the flour.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or lightly grease. Sift together flour, potato flour, baking powder and salt; set aside. Soak the dates in the hot coffee for at least 30 minutes. Drain coffee but reserve 1 teaspoon of the liquid. Cream butter and sugar in a mixture bowl until light and fluffily. Add the egg, milk, reserved coffee and vanilla and mix until blended.
- Add soaked dates into the flour mixture and toss just to coat lightly. Add flour into the creamed mixture and mix until smooth. Form approximately 2 tablespoons of dough into a ball by rolling between palms. Make an indentation in the center of each ball and place on prepared baking sheet at least 3″ apart. Fill each indentation with 1/2 teaspoon orange marmalade. Bake cookies in preheated oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Cool thoroughly on racks before serving. Garnish with orange peel or a stick of cinnamon. Serves 8.