- 1 spice bottle (approx. the size of a twinkie)
- Ten 12x14 inch pieces of aluminum foil
- 1 cake decorator or pastry bag
- 1 chopstick
- Nonstick spray
- 4 egg whites
- one 16-ounce box golden pound cake mix
- 2/3 cup water
- 2 teaspoons piping hot water
- Rounded 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 ups marshmallow creme (one 7-ounce jar)
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Fold each piece of aluminum foil in half twice. Wrap the folded foil around the spice bottle to create a mold. Leave the top of the mold open for pouring in the batter. Make ten of these molds and arrange them on a cookie sheet or in a shallow pan. Grease the inside of each mold with a light coating of nonstick spray.
- Disregard the directions on the box of cake mix. Instead, beat the egg whites until stiff. In a separate bowl combine cake mix with water, and beat until thoroughly blended (about 2 minutes). Fold egg whites into the cake batter and slowly combine until completely mixed.
- Pour the batter into the molds, filling each one about 3/4 of an inch. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until the cake is golden brown and a toothpick stuck in the center comes out clean.
- When the cakes are done and cooled, use a skewer or chopstick to make three holes in the bottom of each one. Move the stick around inside of each cake to create space for the filling.
- Using a cake decorator or pastry bag, inject each cake with filling through all three holes.
For the filling
- Combine the salt with hot water in a small bowl and stir until salt is dissolved. Let mixture cool.
- Combine the marshmallow creme, shortening, powdered sugar, and vanilla in a medium bowl and mix well with an electric mixer on high speed until fluffy.
- Add the salt solution to the filling mixture and combine.
Makes 1 1/2 cups.